Today someone told me that I am a really open person. This was in response to a conversation we were having about my view on relationships, people from different religions and my work. Being in the field of teaching and education certainly exposes me to many people from various walks of life, different customs and cultures, religions, political beliefs and values. Perhaps I was attracted to that field precisely because of my openness.
Today I believe my friend was talking about something deeper than being an open person and that is acceptance: acceptance and the willingness to embrace peoplen who are, different from me, to listen to their point of view, to consider a different way of thinking and to be respectful in the process. I'm referring to acceptance of people as human beings, and not defined by gender, race, nationality, ethnic group, sexual orientation, social or economic class, or whatever label you choose to give someone.
As young adults, we always have a choice about being an open person although some people choose not to exercise it. We can choose to look at a person or situation or issue differently. We can decide to have an open mind. I choose to have an open mind. I choose to accept people with different views than my own. This doesn't mean that they will become my friends, but I choose to accept them anyway. I choose to read whatever interests me. Sometimes I read controversial pieces that I totally don't agree with, yet the choice is mine to read them so I can gain an insight into that world. I don't have to agree with it, but I respect people's rights to be read and heard, as long as it doesn't harm anyone: that is where I draw my line. (I admit that this line is often fuzzy.)
Having an open mind is so important to understanding one another. I've seen my share of closed minds, of people who are so adamant that their belief is the only way to think, that no matter what anyone says or does, they will not budge an inch to consider another point of view. Too often we are conditioned to grow up with the idea that our way is the only way.
One thing I have learned from my work is not to assume that people all have the same perception about the simplest of things. What is an accepted rule of society in one culture may be interpreted as rude or offensive in another. The sexual preferences are many in the realm of non-verbal communication such as personal space, style of dress or eye contact, and even more complex are the differences according to context. Do the rules of behavior change if a bride-to-be is meeting her future in-laws, a professional is going for a job interview, or when a person is entering a holy ground? Of course they do and the "rules" of politeness and what is considered acceptable for that culture in different contexts are not always universal, yet often we assume them to be. People know what they learn, even when they are not aware of it. Often times it is when someone is faced with a culture or situation different than their own that one realizes that differences do indeed exist.
So it is in this spirit that I ask you: Do you know and accept yourself? What preconceived notions do you have about certain people, places or experiences that prevent you from opening up your heart in acceptance of them? Might you grow by opening the door just a crack? You never know: you may just make a new friend!
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment